|Maryborough Clay Target Club - Main Menu:|
Newcastle - Lake Macquarie Clay Target Club, New South Wales, Australia.
|Newcastle - Lake Macquarie Clay Target Club originated in 1947, named "Shortland Gun Club". The original location was in swampland and 12-15 members attended each shoot. Ammunition was made by using mine fuse for powder and knocking the primer back out with a nail to be refilled with match head material. In 1950 the club moved to an adjoining property and then to Searle's Dairy. A tent was used for the office/clubhouse/bar and there was one hand trap in use.|
|In 1955, 31 members were sent to
the National Titles in Melbourne. The team won 11 major
placings. These National Titles were held for the
selection of the Australian Olympic Team for Melbourne
In 1956 Danny Mott (inventor of Damo traps) and Stewart Mordue organised the club's move to Merewether on Hunter District Water Board land, where it was renamed Newcastle Gun Club. The site initially had one manual snipe trap, then two Damo traps were added. The first woman member was allowed to join the club.
During the 1960s and 70s the club installed a skeet layout and remained at the Merewether grounds until 1991. There had been pressure for them to move which they had resisted for six years, but were eventually evicted by the State Environment Minister as the land had become part of coastal parkland.
|In November 1991 the club relocated to the
Awaba site. The first competition on the new gounds was
held with two DTL and 2 skeet layouts. The official
opening was on March 21st 1992.
The current grounds now cater for Down-the-Line, American skeet, Olympic skeet, Olympic Trap and Simulated Field, with regular major and local competitions.
Extract from the Newcastle Herald, March 9th 1998:
Newcastle - Lake Macquarie Clay Target Club
have taken the opportunity to be involved in e-Shoot and
show their support.